My mom used to pack Masala Idlies when I leave on Sunday night from my hometown to Chennai, for my Monday breakfast. That kept the Monday blues low especially on a travelling weekend. I have modified her recipe a little, scroll down to see how.
The recipe tastes better with left over idlies than the hot ones.
- Cut idlies into small cubes.
- Heat oil in a kadai, add chopped onions and slit green chillies; fry them till onions turn transparent.
- Add a spoon of ginger garlic paste and cook till the raw smell goes off.
- Next is the tomato paste ( I used ready-made paste) or fresh tomato puree.
- Let the tomato cook for a few mins, then add turmeric paste, red chilli powder, garam masala and black pepper powder. Note: Measures for masala powders are based on how you like them. If you like it with more pepper powder than red chilli powder, add appropriately.
- Add 2-3 spoons of Soy sauce and required salt mix all the ingredients together.
- Keep in mind that idlies will have salt in them already so add only for the masala.
- Now add the cut idly pieces and mix everything together so that every piece is coated with the masala.
- Garnish with finely chopped fresh coriander leaves.
What I changed from mom’s recipe – She uses chopped fresh ripe tomatoes instead of puree and doesn’t add Soy sauce.
Try it with a hot cup of tea and let me know how you like it !