Parupu Thogayal is one of the easiest thing to make for lunch. It’s an ideal option when you have an almost empty fridge and very basic pantry. With very few ingredients it tastes well with hot rice and nallennai/gingely oil. You can also add ghee instead. Fry a papad or make an omelette, lunch is sorted.
What you need
- Toor dhal / Thuavaram Parupu – 3 tbsp
- Urad dhal – 1 tbsp
- Channa dhal / Kadalai Parupu – 2 tbsp
- Dry chilies – 3
- Curry leaves
- Ginger – 1/2 inch piece (optional)
- Garlic – 1 pod
- Tamarind – same size as ginger
- Fresh grated coconut – 3 to 4 tbsp
- Perungayam /Hing/ Asafoetida- a pinch
- Oil – 1 tbsp (preferably Gingely oil)
The above measurements serves 2 adults.
- Heat oil in a kadai. Add the dhal items listed above. Fry until they change slightly in color. Do not burn.
- Add dry chilies, garlic, ginger, curry leaves, perungayam and fry for a couple of minutes.
- Switch off the flame. Add the grated coconut and required salt.
- Cool the mixture down and grind it in a mixer jar by adding less water. The thogayal should be slightly coarse.
I made this thogayal today for lunch along with Vendakai/ Okra fry and an omelette.