Beetroot Poriyal or dry curry with fresh grated coconut is the most frequently made recipe at home with beetroot and it features in our weekly lunches. Though isn’t frequently made, this thogayal recipe is one of our favorite ways of eating beetroot at home. The recipe is from my mom and she learnt it from my paternal grandmother. On days when you run out of the dosai batter or a winter evening when the weather calls for something hot and nice you could make this for dinner. Hot rice, beetroot thogayal, tomato rasam and vadagams ( fried rice crackers) is one of the best comfort foods!
What you need
- Beetroot – 1 medium size grated
- Channa dhal – 1 tbsp
- Urad dhal – 1 tbsp
- Red chili – 1
- Tamarind – 1 inch piece
- Hing – a pinch
- Fresh grated coconut – 3 tbsp
- Sesame oil – 2 tbsp
- Water – to grind
- Heat sesame oil in a kadai. Add channa dhal and urad dhal and fry them until they turn golden.
- Add tamarind and red chili and hing. Fry them for a few seconds.
- Now add beetroot and cook until they wilt and the raw smell goes off. Add the grated coconut and switch off the flame. Mix well and add required salt.
- Cool down and grind to a paste by adding water little by little.
- Serve with hot rice.
You might also like the other thogayal recipe on my blog.